Monday, December 06, 2004

I love you like a fat kid loves cake

The job hunt is in full swing. I put in resumes at 13 different places today. I covered a wide range of companies, from software firms to network companies to broadcasting. Got a lot of good leads, and some of the people I talked to really went above and beyond.

I'd like to give company names and specifics, but I probably shouldn't, to protect the innocent.

The receptionist at one major company told us about another, smaller, company in the same building, and offered to give our resumes to the HR director there. Steve and I didn't even know that this other company was there, and it didn't seem like she told a lot of people about it (I got that from the way she brought it up, it didn't sound practiced at all, very genuine). If you ever read this, I'm very sorry that I can't remember your name, you deserve to be mentioned.

The most promising lead I got was at a small home automation firm, where I had a mini interview on the spot, and the guy there said "wow" in regards to my resume. He said that he didn't have any openings right away, but he has some big projects coming up in the next 2 months, and I have a good feeling about it. I walked out of there feeling like a million bucks. In gold. Crusted with diamonds. Covered in chocolate.

Some places I feel good about applying to, others I don't think I have too much of a shot at, but I feel a lot better about everything than I did last week.

Steve's been giving me some good advice, including wearing a suit every time you go in to hand in a resume. Never underestimate the power a suit has. If you walk into a palce wearing one, people are going to decide you're successful, and then treat you that way. You can be the most unqualified bum in the world, but if you look good and feel good, people will respect you. They call it a power suit for a reason.

When I got home from putting in all these resumes I noticed a missing word in my cover letter. After some cursing (actually a lot fo cursing) I fixed it. Hopefully none of the places I went to today will notice.

Have to send out some soft copies of my resume, so I better do that before it gets too late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home