Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Simple solutions to stupid problems

I just figured how to fix my startup brightness problem. A while back I posted about this, how when I start my computer the brightness gets turned up very high, and the only way I can actually see anything comfortably was to open up the colour tab in the advanced display properties and turn it back to where I like it. I finally figured out why it was doing it.

When you install Photoshop, you get a handy utility called the Adobe Gamma Loader, which I guess adjusts your screen so things you do in Photoshop look right on other people's computers. I don't know how useful that actually is, and I've never noticed a difference in pictures on my screen and other screens, but I digress.

When I bought my new video card, I didn't reinstall the gamma loader, so it was still trying to load the settings for my old video card. I guess these were completely incompatible, and resulted in the faded-out, 0 contrast display I've been correcting for over a month.

To fix it, I tried removing the gamma loader from my startup list. When I turned the computer on today, the brightness didn't change, and instead actually stayed at the level I had set it.

What a concept.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home