Friday, October 15, 2004

Retrospecticus

One of friends is moving, my brother's best friend is getting married to one of my good friends, and Homecoming is next week. Seems like a good time to look back at things that have either passed out of my life.

First off, LAN gaming with my friends. Back in high school we'd assemble all our computers into a network and play games for entire weekends. Seemed to be no limit to the amount of fun we'd have. Then graduation came. I went off to Kingston, Mark went off to Barrie, Rob went to Ottawa, and Matthew went to Pickering (eventually). The following year the rest of the old gang went off to various places too, and that seemed to be the end of it. A bunch of them live in Ottawa now, and they get together what seems like every month, but I'm not sure if I want to start again. It seems like any attempt to get back into the LAN scene would be a pale imitation of its former glory, and I'm not sure if I can stand to see that happen to something I once loved. I might go watch the next one, just to see them all again.

Second would be all my groups of friends. The high school guys, the Computing gang, the Bandsies, all the floor guys. You don't really notice how much you depend on your friends for things until they're all far away. I need to get out and make new friends, but it's tough to do without some sort of activity or common interest to base a friendship around. I guess I could meet all Rob's friends, but I'd like to make my own and not be the guy that just shows up and makes everyone feel awkward.

There are more, but these are the two I miss most. Except for the Bands, which I talked about in a different post. No need to repeat myself.

I want to write something deep and meaningful about the passage of time here, but I don't have the words to do it right now. I can live with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home