Sunday, July 03, 2005

Wild and crazy nights

Canada Day came and went without too much excitement. I went to Steve's with the promise of a barbecue, but instead got locked out in the pouring rain. Everybody had gone to Subway just as the rain started (about the same time I was getting on the bus), and they wisely didn't want to leave until it stopped. I didn't have that option, so I hurried from the bus stop to their house (which really wasn't too far), but I was soaked the minute I got off the bus.

After pounding on their door and cursing them to hell, I started to walk home after the rain stopped (hoping to dry out a bit). I called them before too long, just in case they'd gone somewhere and had just gotten back, and to my joy that was the case.

The people who live just down the street from them are jerks. They just stood on their balcony hurling abuse at me. I was too wet to bother thinking up a retort.

After getting in and partly drying off, we set about the long, arduous task of deciding what to do. We decided on poker sometime later in the evening, with the possibility of Axis & Allies. To pass the time, we played Clue.

I hadn't played Clue in probably 10-12 years, so I'd mostly forgotten how to do it. Still, I picked Col. Mustard, as I tend to do, and set out on the trail of the killer. Steve won the game, beating (among others) his housemate who's in police training. I guess all those rows and columns triggered his accounting reflexes. If you're curious, it was Mrs. Peacock in the kitchen with the lead pipe. I had Mrs. Peacock, and I was fairly certain about the lead pipe, but I had no clue on the room. I was thinking it was the billiard room, but never managed to get in there to find out.

Finally, we got to the poker game. after a hard fought game where I came back from the brink of disaster, I went all in on what I thought was a bluff and turned out to be a straight. After knocking me out, Steve went on to beat Kyle and win the game. Seems like a pattern of Steve winning everything, which might have been a factor in there not being an A&A game, aside from the fact that poker finished at 5:30 in the morning.

After quickly checking the bus schedule and finding that there was one coming soon, I left and discussed strategy for guild battles with Steve. We have some plans, but I don't think anybody cares about me discussing Guild Wars in this blog. So I won't. Plus this way our secret plans stay secret (insert evil laughter).

I got to bed around 6 and woke up in early afternoon, and soon after my brother and I decided to go golfing. Golf turned out to be a train wreck. I had my worst round of the year, and despite getting par on a par 5, it was horrible. I discovered a new phenomenon I call the 100 pound wedge, in which my wedge seems to gain weight as I swing it downwards, thus driving it into the ground and absorbing all the energy of the swing. This results in a fully-swung wedge hitting the ball maybe 10-20 yards, and for shorter shots, leaving the ball as far from the hole as possible while still travelling forwards. 100 pound wedge is a serious threat to my game and sanity, and I hope it clears up soon.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days. We're playing golf with Mom again, and then I'm going to be taking two days to paint my grandmother's veranda. I'm not sure how I got roped into that one, but I did. Lousy family exploiting me for cheap labour. The veranda desperately needs a coat of paint, and I can't complain too much about doing it (painters are probably expensive and Grandma doesn't have fat stacks of cash sitting around), so I'm going to grin and bear it.

I'll be back on Tuesday, most likely. Until then, avoid getting 100 pound wedge and don't play Clue with accountants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home