Monday, March 07, 2005

Been a while

The madcap romp of the past week has finally come to an end. The Centennial was a rousing success, as was to be expected.

In the days leading up to the weekend, an emergency lan party was called because Derek was in town, visiting from Toronto. It was a good party, mostly because pretty much all we played were older games that are guaranteed to be fun. It got a little slow when we decided to pull out Axis & Allies, but that was mostly because people kept leaving to play other games when it wasn't their turn. I was Russia, and I got absolutely decimated.

We played a lot of Tron, which I'm surprisingly still good at. There isn't much that's more fun that piloting a lightcycle around the grid at very high speed, and I think everybody playing knew it.

Aside from that, we played some Doom cooperative, Quake 2, Counter-Strike, and some Serious Sam cooperative, which got boring because I didn't set the difficulty high enough when I set up the server. 5 guys with infinite ammo and not a lot of monsters leads to boredom eventually. Gotta remember that for next time.

Never heard of Serious Sam? It's excellent mindless fun. In the coop mode it's as many guys as you can get, a lot of big guns, and an endless tide of monsters.

Moving on to the Centennial Gala, my ride was 2 hours late and we managed to miss the Bands performance, but we got there right before dinner. On the way down we thought we had missed dinner but would still get to see the performance, so I guess it worked out, maybe.

Dinner was awesome, and came with unlimited free wine, which I freely abused. The wine guy eventually stopped refilling my glass, which was probably for the best. During dinner there was a slideshow, and speeches between courses. It was a lot of self-referential back-patting, but that's to be expected when you throw a party honouring yourself.

Following dinner there was a dance, during which I got jiggy. I think I overexerted myself, because my legs still hurt. The rest of the evening gets a little blurry, but all the former drum majors who were there had a mace-off to see who had retained their skills, and I got caught taking honey packets from the breakfast buffet table. Why they were setting up the breakfast table before the party had ended is anyone's guess, but the honeys I did manage to get were extra sweet.

Eventually I wound up at Kevin's place, and following some artistic expression in the bathroom (apparently I'm an artist in the medium of high speed mid-digestives on plaster), I slept until early afternoon.

A rude awakening came when Kevin's housemate burst into the room complaining about bits of my artwork that I had failed to wipe up the previous night. Ordinarily I wouldn't bring this up, but if I don't, he'll just make comments about it. Anyway, he was nice enough to clean it up, so I'm extending thanks for that.

After watching some Greg the Bunny, I went for breakfast with some friends, and then came back to Ottawa. All told I was in Kingston for less than 24 hours.

And yes, I got my pillow back. I can't wait to go to bed so I can sleep on it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home