Wednesday, August 03, 2005

I have teeth

I had a dentist appointment today, my first in 3 years. I'm not sure how I managed to go so long without seeing a dental professional, but I did. I was worried about it because my dental hygiene isn't exactly the best. I've flossed once this year, and that was right before we left for the appointment.

I have one cavity, and apparently if I dodn't get it filled within the year I'll need a root canal. Despite that, everybody described it as a small one, so I don't know if they're overestimating it or if small cavities are insidious, or what's going on.

In addition, I have a wisdom tooth coming in sideways. It's my only one, but how is it growing sideways? That makes no sense at all. It's breached the gum just enough to make it a problem, so it's going to have to come out. Otherwise it'll just catch a lot of bacteria and rot (or something, I'm guessing here), and that'll be even worse for me. We didn't make an appointment for surgery, and I have to talk to the surgeon they referred me to. He'll know what to do about it.

As a last kick in the pants, I need to floss more. Apparently I have the beginning stages of Gingivitis, and the easiest way to prevent that is to floss and stimulate the gums as I do so. I guess I'll have to do that, as much as I hate flossing.

For no checkups in 3 years, I think I did fairly well for myself. I still have no idea how I got that cavity, but I'm not going to worry too much about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home