Monday, January 30, 2006

Glad it was on sale

The other night I tried a President's Choice Chicago-style pizza. There was more to the name, but I forget what it was now. Regardless, it claimed to be a 2 pound deep dish pizza, and I bought one because the store didn't have any of the kind I usually get, and it was on sale. I got the pepperoni and sausage flavour.

When I opened it, there was an obvious misallocation of toppings. All the sauce was lumped on one side, with the associated cheese and pepperoni accompanying it. This left a part of the crust exposed, but I figured all that would sort itself out as the sauce unfroze and cooked.

I was wrong, and we wound up with a pizza where some slices were humongously thick and others were pitifully thin. It happens I guess, so I figured I'd try to cut it so the slices came out more-or-less even in size and thickness. It was a good plan, I thought.

The pizza had other ideas. Due to the deepness of the pan, my pizza cutter was fairly useless in cutting through the edges of the crust, and while fighting with those my sizing got thrown off track and every slice came out a different size. One of the biggest ones was also the thickest, and the one right beside it was the smallest. It seriously looked like a pizza cut by a blind chimp.

No offense to the blind chimps in the audience. You're decent people, but generally you can't cut a pizza to save your life. I'm sorry you had to hear it from me.

The pizza was still a bit cold when we started eating, and that's never a good thing. I didn't think it was too bad, but it wasn't as hot as something coming right out of the over should be. I even left it in for a few extra minutes just to make sure it was done. A few seconds in the microwave fixed it right up, so finally I got to sample what I really hoped would be a pizza worthy of all the hardship it had dumped on me.

I was disappointed to say the least. It was bland and mostly tasteless. The crust was nice and flaky and tasted like a pie crust, but it wasn't nearly enough to make up for the nondescript sauce and flavourless meat.

Overall, I'm glad I got the pizza on sale, but I wouldn't buy it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home