Monday, December 18, 2006

Blogger upgrade?

So, Blogger wants me to use some new upgrade they're pitching. Apparently it's merged tighter with Google and has more features, which sounds okay, but one thing bugs me.

They say I have to sign in with my "Google id". Now, I don't know about you guys, but I've never had an id with Google. Never registered, never had to sign in (except to Blogger), never even heard of this until now.

What could Google possibly have a login id for? Remembering my searches? Automatically looking up stuff it thinks I'm interested in? Jumping directly to a link I tend to click on a lot?

I have to say it sounds interesting, but I doubt it'd be as useful as I expect it to be.

I have to admit I have no idea where I'm going with this, so I'll just drop it and go on and on about how everybody feels the need to add new features, even though there are lots not being used all that much.

Everyone's probably seen a program or service they like do that. ICQ did it, just got more and more bloated, and how often do you hear people talk about ICQ these days? Even MSN is doing it, what with all their winks and nudges and whatever else they're offering now (I'm going off the last version I had installed, which was some beta a while back). I'm a Trillian user (which I'm sure will get at least one person to yell at me), and it's getting a bit big too, but all in areas that still don't work (I don't think its webcam support ever materialized, years after they claimed it was working).

That was a lot of parentheses in that last paragraph.

Anyway, Google already has a lot of things going on. Most of which have silly names (like Frappr or Picasa). Blogger, for me, has been perfectly functional for the longest time, and I really don't think it needs any new features. The login screen says something about post labels, which I guess would be sort of like a classification system. I know I'd never use it, but I'm probably not a good example.

I forget what else it said, and I'm sort of out of things to say for now.

1 Comments:

At 11:17 a.m., Blogger Trucker Pete said...

Google has G-mail, Google Talk, and personalized home pages ... Not sure if that helps.

Flickr recently did the same thing, but with Yahoo. THAT was annoying. Like I don't have enough email accounts already.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home