Monday, April 24, 2006

Silent Hill is really weird

I saw Silent Hill last night. We wound up going to the 10:10 showing because Srol didn't get off work until 9:30 or so, and we were in the theatre until after all the buses except the 95 stopped running. Slept on Steve's couch, afer playing Oblivion until 6 in the morning. Woo.

I've never played a Silent Hill game, so I had no expectations or prejudices going into the movie. This was both a blessing and a curse, because I could watch without comparing the two, but I didn't get a whole lot out of it. It wasn't a bad movie, but I might hesitate to call it good.

One thing that definitely stood out was the gore. I have a love/hate relationship with gory movies. Mostly hate, because blood in general makes me queasy (just ask Kevin), but a well-done gory scene can be too awesome for words. Silent Hill did gore very, very well. If I can watch a guy get torn to pieces by barbed wire and say "Fuck yeah!" instead of "blurrk", then the movie's done it superbly.

Yes, I know I don't normally swear in the blog, but my reaction to that scene warranted it.

For me, the best parts of the movie were the 2 or 3 scenes featuring the guy with the pyramid-thingy on his head. That guy was hardcore, and he provided some of the best visuals in the movie. I just wish that a) we'd found out WHO THE HELL HE WAS, and b) there was more of him.

Everybody who took the bus back with me heard my rambling on the guy with the pyramid thingy, and I'm sure they got sick of me talking about him. But still, to introduce a character whose sole purpose seems to be tearing people apart (either with a giant sword or with his bare hands) and then not tell us anything about him, is just mean. Not to mention sloppy filmmaking (since I'm an expert of making films...)

Anyway, decent movie with awesome gore. That's all I can say about it.

After getting back to Steve's I played some Ob;ivion on his computer. He has a whole bunch of mods loaded into it, so the game doesn't look at all the same. Textures seem sharper, the menus were higher resolution, and his map was colour coded. Crazy.

Anyway, I started a dunmer Witchhunter, and I'm having a lot of fun conjuring up skeletons and zombies to do all my fighting for me, as I throw fireballs at the enemies. I'm not entirely sure what summoning has to do with witchhunting (and I don't think there are any witches in Cyrodiil anyway. Necromancers, yes, but I don't think they qualify as "witches"), but I also get alchemy as a major skill, so i'll be able to raise my level just by mixing potions. Nifty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home