Friday, March 24, 2006

I am angry

I bought The Elder scrolls 4: Oblivion today. I've been looking forward to this game for a while now, ever since I heard about it pretty much. I've been quiet about it, because I didn't want to overhype it.

So, I bought it today. I was over at Steve's and Cid and I took a walk down to Merivale in search of a power cable with an L-shaped plug. That's a whole other story, and isn't important right now. Anyway, we got the cord and decided to take a walk down to Future Shop to see if they had any copies of the Guild Wars: Factions preorder, because I wanted one.

They didn't, and neither did Best Buy, so we both bought Oblivion instead. I debated it for a bit and finally caved. Cid bought it because I did, like he said he would. We were both happy, and we walked back to Steve's.

While we were there, his copy got installed on 4 different computers. It was glorious, everybody loved it. I deliberately didn't look at it so I'd get the full experience firsthand. Eventually I got home, and popped the DVD into my drive.

It installed and was sitting there in its post-install copying phase (I assume it's copying stuff, it just sits there for 5 minutes before the installation fully finishes). Suddenly, I got an error message. Catastrophic failure. No other information.

I tried it again, catastrophic failure. One more time, catastrophic failure.

I rebooted and tried again. Catastrophic failure.

I rebooted again and shut down my virus scanner. Catastrophic failure.

I gave up at that point. I have 30 days to exchange it, and I intend to. My computer exceeds the minimum recommended specifications, so I know I can run it. A different copy worked on 4 other computers, so I know the game itself isn't faulty, just my copy.

I figure I'll take a few minutes out of the Factions preview weekend to get a new copy of Oblivion, and hopefully this one will actually work.

It's very frustrating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home