Wednesday, September 07, 2005

New project

For a while I've been feeling inspired to write stuff while at Tim Hortons. I've wondered why that is, and why the inspiration dries up as soon as the coffee is gone, but I never really sat down and tried to determine just why that is.

That is changing. From this moment on, whenever I feel inspired to write while at Tim Hortons, I'm going to catalogue my thoughts. This is an effort to understand my own motivations, but I have no idea if there will be any point to it.

Earlier today, I wrote the following in my notebook:

Tim Hortons and inspiration

I do most of my writing with a cup of coffee nearby. Usually this is at home, and I don't write all that much. Less often it happens at Tim Hortons, and I never find myself without something to write about.

What is it about this place that inspires me? Is it the smell of coffee and baking? The familiar decor? The sense that I'm supposed to be here (as a Canadian I should stay here all day, but that's impractical)?Or is it something completely different?

As of right now, 1:19 pm on September 7, 2005, I am in a Tim Hortons in Ottawa, Ontario, near the campus of Algonquin College. I have about half a cup of coffee left, black, and just beginning to reach the temperature where it's just hot enough to not chug it. Babbles of conversation are filtering in through my headphones, but I can't make any of it out.

I'm no closer to figuring out where the inspiration comes from, but I was inspired enough to start cataloguing it. Every time I am in a Tim Hortons with my note pad, I will describe my feelings of what I should be writing. This time it was the idea to keep track of this, with the end result of learning why I write here.

This is a grand project, and I hope I can maintain it.


I also wrote a list of random thoughts I had while waiting for class, but I'll save them for another entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home