Sunday, November 27, 2005

Why is this so hard?

I'm trying to write a proposal. It's for an assignment, and I have to present it on Wednesday. I don't have to hand in the actual written proposal until the end of the semester, but I have enough due then that I pretty much have to finish it so I don't get overwhelmed. I already have a content specification, 2 usability assignments, an HTML assignment, and a research paper due next week, and I don't need to add a proposal to that list.

I've talked about this before, but I've changed my idea. It used to be a device for telling buses to wait, but I figured that was too vague to write an entire proposal on unless I came up with an implementation of the system, so I decided to scrap it.

Normally changing an idea 3 days before it's due is a catastrophic problem. In this case it was a relief. I never was completely sure how I was going to pitch the idea, and my new idea is a lot simpler in a number of ways.

The new idea is actually an old idea I had for a way for hotels to call taxis without making a doorman walk outside and wave one over. It was inspired by a short amount of time I spent sitting in the lobby of the Brookstreet in Kanata, waiting for Barrel to finish up an interview. In the short amount of time I was there, I saw 4 or 5 people need cabs, and the doorman had to leave the hotel and wave a cab over every time. It was ridiculously cold out, as Ottawa tends to be, and the doormen didn't look at all happy about having to go outside to call cabs.

So I figured there had to be a better way. I quickly thought of a setup with a flashing light that the doorman could activate from inside the lobby, and then he'd only have to open the door once to let the customer through. Seems like a simple, almost unnecessary thing, but I think it's a great idea for a proposal.

Until I tried to write it. I have a summary of points, and nothing else. I can't do anything about it, no words will come out. No matter how hard I want to get these ideas down, they refuse to leave my head.

It's very frustrating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home