Tuesday, December 27, 2005

New Windows blues

Well, I got my new hardware all installed, and a fresh new copy of Windows running on it. I know, some people don't like Windows, but it's what I'm comfortable with. Now for the most annoying part of any computer user's life: Getting the new version to look like the old version.

Not only do I have to track down that dll file that lets you change themes without upgrading to the plus version of Windows, I also have to remember where I saved the theme I like, and then find a Trillian skin to match. The one I made to match the old theme has mysteriously vanished, and I'm kind of upset about that.

In addition, I have to fiddle with the video settings to get the colour back to normal, and that's an ongoing process. I couldn't save my old settings, so it's back to square 1 of figuring it all out. Why didn't I write down the numbers? Why, oh why?

I haven't even had a chance to install any games to test out the new setup. I've been busy fiddling and tweaking, but soon, soon I shall play.

Computer hardware tip: If the new motherboard has a plug that that powers the CPU specifically, the computer won't work until you plug that in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home